AS 9100 Certification
Safety & Risk
Environment & Energy
Good Industry Practices
Introduction to AS 9100 Certification
Quality Management Systems – Requirements for Aviation, Space, and Defense Organizations
The risk of poor quality differs from industry to industry. If a part fails on a home appliance, in most cases it is likely a mere inconvenience to the customer. In contrast, if a part fails on a piece of equipment in the aviation, space or defense industry the effect could potentially cause severe injury or loss of life. The importance of quality components within these industries cannot be overstated. To ensure adequate levels of quality and customer satisfaction in the aviation, space and defense industries, the SAE AS 9100 Certification standard was developed. This standard defines the quality management system requirements to be used at all levels of the supply chain by suppliers from around the globe.
What is AS 9100 Certification
AS 9100 Certification Standard is the international Quality Management System standard for the Aviation, Space and Defense (AS&D) industry, created by the IAQG, and AS9100 Rev D (2016) is the most recent version. The standard provides suppliers with requirements for creating and maintaining a comprehensive quality system for providing safe and reliable products to the ASD industry, as well as civil & military aviation requirements
The AS9100 includes not only the ISO 9001:2015 requirements, but also identifies additional requirements specifically for the aviation, space and defense industries. Some of the changes to Revision D of the AS9100 standard include the addition of information regarding the handling of counterfeit parts, attention to the human factors of manufacturing quality, a focus on product safety, ethics training, and the process approach including SIPOC and PDCA tools, Risk Based Thinking, and monitoring supplier delivery performance.
Why Implement AS 9100 Certification
- To ensure Safety
- Product conformity and reliability
What benefits it can bring to organization:
- Minimize business risks including regulatory risks and potential legal liabilities.
- Deliver products that consistently meet customer requirements.
- Get a listing in the Online Supplier Information System (OASIS) database.
- Greater consistency and traceability of products and services, means problems are easier to avoid and rectify.
- Improvement of processes and operational efficiencies means money saved.
- Become a preferred supplier and gain customer and stakeholder trust.
- Continually improve and win more business in domestic and international markets.
AS 9100 Certification Applicable to:
Manufacturing, Maintenance and service organizations across the aerospace/aviation sectors, including design, manufacturing, maintenance, and services providing companies.
Our Consulting approach- AS 9100 Certification:
- Gap Analysis: Assessment of existing management system practices against the AS 9100 Certification standard requirements.
- Project Plan: Prepare a implementation project plan based on the time lines looking for;
- Orientation Training: Top/Senior Management orientation on AS 9100 Certification standard requirements and implementation action plans preparation;
- Developing different levels of documentation ( Tier 1-3/4): Identification of processes required for the products produced and services provided; External and internal issues affecting the business, interested parties needs and expectations, Framing draft quality policy, organizational objectives, role, responsibility and authority, various risks affecting and opportunities arises, functional and system procedures, different implementation formats and checklists;
- System Implementation: Implementation of the AS 9100 Certification Standard as per the developed documentation;
- Company-wide Training: Training on detailed clause wise requirements and relating them to their departments and Internal audit.
- Internal Audits: Periodic assessment of AS 9100 Certification system implementation and corrective actions.
- Pre assessment: Initial audit by Certifying agency, and, implementation of corrective actions.
- Final Assessment: AS 9100 Certification audit by the Certifying agency and recommendation for AS 9100 Certification.