Safety & Risk
Environment & Energy
Good Industry Practices
BRC Certificaiton – Global Standards for Food safety
BRC Certification is the leading trade body for UK retailers. Whether a retailer is a large multiple or department store, or a small independent shop, the BRCGS protects their interests. The BRCGS has developed a set of Global Standards, which is an international product safety and quality certification program and suppliers in more than 100 countries.
What is BRC Certification for Food Safety
The Global Standard for Food Safety provides a framework to manage product safety, integrity, legality and quality, and the operational controls for these criteria in the food and food ingredient manufacturing, processing and packing industry.
The Standard focuses on:
- encouraging development of product safety culture;
- expanding the requirements for environmental monitoring to reflect the increasing importance of this technique;
- encouraging sites to further develop systems for security and food defence;
- adding clarity to the requirements for high-risk, high-care and ambient high-care production risk zones;
- providing greater clarity for sites manufacturing pet food; and
- ensuring global applicability and bench-marking to the Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI).
Why BRC Certification Food Safety:
Most British and many European and Global retailers and brand owners, as well as food processors, only include suppliers certified to the BRC Global Standard for Food Safety in their supply chain.
- Provide evidence of commitment, and, in case of food safety incident, legal defense in the frame of the “due diligence” concept.
- Build and operate a management system capable of helping you to better meet food quality/safety requirements and legal compliance.
- Provide a tool for food safety performance improvement and the means to monitor and measure food safety performance effectively.
- Facilitate reductions in product waste, product reworking, and product recall.
What benefits it brings to business
- Increased market access in the global supply chain
- Brand protection
- Reduction of food safety and liability risks to your company
- Demonstrated commitment to food safety and quality
- Reduced audit redundancy
- Improve your quality and food safety system
- Streamline relationships with EU retailers
- Achieve operational efficiencies – less waste, more organization, increased profits
- Supplier of retailer-branded products and branded products,
- food or ingredients for use by food-service companies,
- catering companies,
- food manufacturers.
- Warehouses and pack houses
- Slaughter houses
- Food processing
- Handlers of high risk ready-to-eat product.
How can Smartedge help to get BRC Certification?
- Gap Analysis: Assessment of existing management system practices against the BRC Certification standard requirements.
- Project Plan: Prepare a BRC Certification implementation project plan based on the time lines looking for;
- BRC Certification Orientation Training: Top/Senior Management orientation on BRC Certification standard requirements and implementation action plans preparation;
- Developing different levels of documentation ( Tier 1-3/4): Identification of processes required for the products produced and services provided; External and internal issues affecting the business, interested parties needs and expectations, Framing draft quality policy, organizational objectives, role, responsibility and authority, various risks affecting and opportunities arises, functional and system procedures, different implementation formats and checklists;
- System Implementation: Implementation of the selected management system as per the developed documentation;
- Company-wide Training: Training on detailed clause wise requirements and relating them to their departments and Internal audit.
- Internal Audits: Periodic assessment of system implementation and corrective actions.
- Pre assessment: Initial audit by Certifying agency, and, implementation of corrective actions.
- Final Assessment: Certification audit by the Certifying agency and recommendation for BRC Certification.